Sur Sangam, a school of Indian classical music & dance was established in 1990 under the guidance of Joyprakash Medhi and Marami Medhi, a renowned couple of classical music and dance from Assam, who dedicated their lives to the advancement and propagation of Indian Classical Music. Sur Sangam is now completing 20 years of imparting training mainly in the field of Kathak and Vocal (North Indian classical music).It is an Institution where different aspects of Kathak and Hindustani classical music are being taught as per the syllabus of Bhatkhande sangit Vidyapith , Lucknow. Sur Sangam has produced several students who received National scholarship under different schemes of Department of Culture, Govt. of India under the Ministry of Human Resources and Training. Sur Sangam has also given several performances in different parts of the State of Assam and different Festivals of Dance and Music in all over India. The Choreography number includes Nupur Dhwani, Ntityanjali, Bhalpoar Diksou Batere, O mor Aponar desh, Seuji Dhora, Hati aru Manuh, Tridhara, Jugalbandi which are most out standing production of Sur Sangam choreographed by Marami Medhi.
Aim and Objective :
The primary objective of the institution would be to produce highly talented students who would not only prove worthy of the training they receive, but also live as modest, humble and disciplined member of the today’s society. An exposure through workshop, lecture demonstrations would be given to all students in other art forms. The purpose of the institute would be a constant search for perfection, to produce high quality performing artists. Sur Sangam bears a responsibility to guide the students towards the right path and imbibe in them some moral values of life. Special care would be taken to help the students to develop a proper attitude and approach towards art and culture and a final commitment to society, thereby developing a good aesthetic taste and balanced in life.
• Regular classes in Kathak and Hindustani Classical Music and Satriya dance.
• Weekly classes in Bhajans and light classical music.
• Yearly workshop and demonstration in Kathak and Hindustani classical music.
• Periodic lectures on nature and environment and create awareness through public performances on these issues; Indian heritage; other dance forms and genres; different folk dances and music and choreography.
• Yearly programme of different performing arts in order to motivate the performers to cultivate the intrinsic knowledge and presentation of the subject concerned.
Sur Sangam promotes artistes of different subjects in various fields like Kathak, Vocal, light classical music etc. Recently Training on Guitar and Piano also introduced in the Institute as per co-curriculum of The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.
Journey of Sur Sangam :
Cultural Programmes organized by Sursangam :
• Nupurdhwani, 1994 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• An evening of Kathak dance , Bhajan & Ghajals, 1997 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• An evening of Kathak dance & Bhajan, 2000 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• Dr. Khageswar Medhi memorial Cultural Evening, 2001 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• Nrityanjali, 2002 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• An evening of Kathak dance & Music, 2005 at Pragjyoti ITA centre, Guwahati.
• Sur Sangam , an evening of Kathak dance & Music, 2007, at pragjyoti ITA centre, Guwahati.
• Kathak Sandhya, 2009 at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
• An evening of Kathak Dance and Music, 2011, Ravindra Bhawan, Guwahati
• An evening of Kathak Dance and Music, 2013, Ravindra Bhawan, Guwahati.
Click here to download the admission form of Sur Sangam.